“The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at, or repair” Douglas Adams
At this point I am fairly certain that the person who came up with 'When it rains, it pours', lived in Our Little 1900's house. We started the demolition downstairs this weekend and boy oh boy were we in for one surprise after another.
My constant chant throughout this entire process has been 'This needs to be done.' And while smashing through all of that teal tile felt really good- I must say I was a little surprised to see exactly how much work this demo was going to be.
We managed to hit a top layer of teal tile, mortar, mesh wire, a second layer of white tile, mortar, clay sheet rock, 2nd layer of mesh, paper insulation, lathe slats and finally... a wall stud! Thats right people... Nine layers before we even shed light on a single stud.
Galvinized piping under the sink proved easy to remove, since these two pipes didn't have a proper connection, they were just barely touching.
Its a good thing we rarely used this bathroom. The drain pipe literally crumbled in our hands as we were disconnecting it.
Tearing through the layers.
Lots of water damage to the pipes around the sink, not to mention spotty plumbing work.
I was thrilled to see what was under this corner since it had always been tiled in... we will make good use of that space in my new bathroom!
Pittsburgh Steeltex paper insulation.
The brown clay sheetrock makes a huge dusty mess throughout the entire house.
The first load off to the dump weighing in around 1100 pounds worth of tile!
Back to work again on Sunday..
We tore out the mold damage on the ceiling to find that the above bathroom had a pipe in the floor that was leaking down into the ceiling of this one. Its a slow drip but still I was so happy we caught it in time.
A closer look at the leaky ceiling pipe...
End of Day Two for work, still tons to do.
Meanwhile at some point during the demolition the plaster in the theater room decided to fall off.
Today I decided to get crackin' again on the upstairs guest room... A few days ago I repainted the room a soft gray color. I had a little fun too while I was at it. :)
The original color...
The after color! Its much softer and looks lovely with natural lighting (this picture has a flash to it so it looks a bit washed out!)
After Mr.Major sanded the floor.
After I stained the floor.
Tomorrow I will apply three top layers of polyurethane and 24 hours later its as if those icky white floors never existed! Well. In this room at least. The master bedrooms is another story all together.
"Our house... had a heart and a soul... it was one of us, and we were in its confidence and lived in its grace and in the peace of its benedictions." Mark Twain
I hope that all is well in your world.